B Complex Vitamins are an excellent supplement that can be taken for several reasons including; energy, mood, immune boost, weight control, preventing headaches, heart health, and to improve skin and hair. These important, water soluble vitamins are helpful for many processes in the body. There are 8 B Vitamins that can be found naturally in foods as well as in a supplement form.
Each B vitamin is essential to certain bodily functions:
- B1 is important for the health of the musculoskeletal, nervous and cardiovascular system.
- B2 is important for healthy functioning of the muscles, nerves, and heart and may help prevent Migraines.
- B3 helps regulate the nervous and digestive systems as well maintaining healthy cholesterol levels.
- B5 is beneficial for growth and development.
- B6 supports the immune system and protein degradation. Supplementation is believed to be useful for PMS symptoms, headache prevention, and morning sickness.
- B7 is involved in the production of hormones.
- B9 (folic acid) is an essential nutrient all the time, but becomes even more important during pregnancy. This nutrient is thought to reduce risk of birth defects during pregnancy, as well as decrease risk for certain cancers. It is also important for function of the nervous and cardiovascular systems.
- B12 is beneficial for growth and energy.
A healthy diet is also an excellent source of B Vitamins; a diet composed of whole grains, green leafy vegetables, eggs, chicken, turkey, fish, bananas, potatoes, citrus fruits, nuts and beans.