Robin Beard, DNP, FNP-C, of Active Family Healthcare specializes in determining if you are a good candidate to life-changing injections for knew arthritis. She’s provided some basic information about the injections below and a quick questionnaire on whether or not you might be a good candidate for the non-invasive procedure. Active Family Healthcare is proud to offer this service that has improved quality of life for patients.
What is osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a degenerative joint disease that worsens over time. Cartilage, which protects the surface of the bone, is damaged by OA. Arthritis also causes inflammation in the joint. The joint fluid becomes thinner and provides less cushion in the joint.
What is hyaluronic acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a jelly-like substance within joints (joint fluid). It provides lubrication and serves as a shock absorber within the joint.
What is Durolane?
Durolane is a single injection of hyaluronic acid used to treat knee osteoarthritis. It can provide lasting relief from knee pain for six months, maybe longer. Durolane may also protect the joint and help resist further breakdown from osteoarthritis. Durolane is usually covered by Medicare and some other insurance plans.
Should I get a Durolane injection?
If you are hoping to get back mobility and have a more active lifestyle, Durolane may work for your arthritis. Call and schedule an appointment with Robin Beard, FNP, and she can help you decide if Durolane is a good choice for your knee pain. ****
How do I know if I have knee OA?
Tally the number of “YES” responses to this short questionnaire.
- I frequently experience stiffness in my joints after resting or when I wake up. YES / NO
2. My joint is tender or sore after overuse. YES / NO
3. I feel pain in my joints when I move. YES / NO
4. I feel pain in my joints even when I am not active. YES / NO
5. Getting up from a chair, out of a car, or going up or down stairs is difficult. YES / NO
6. I hear a crackling sound in my joints when I move. YES / NO
7. The area around my joint is red and swollen. YES / NO
8. I am unable to do or enjoy certain activities because of pain or stiffness in my joints. YES / NO
9. I feel less coordinated due to pain or stiffness in my joints. YES / NO
10. I experience a grating feeling in my joints when I move. YES / NO
11. I have noticed that the muscles close to my painful joint are not as strong as they used to be. YES / NO
If you answered “YES”to one or more of the questions about knee osteoarthritis, you may be a candidate for Durolane joint injections. If you would like to schedule an appointment to discuss this fill out the form below. Our office staff will call you to schedule a time for you to visit with a provider. You are welcome to schedule a visit in the form below.